Re: TR6 engine "ticking"

To: Chad and Christy Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 engine "ticking"
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 08:21:51 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, Chad and Christy Stretz wrote:

> have experience in my next project.  I seem to have this annoying
> ticking sound coming from (I think) the top end of my engine.  It's not
                                                                 ^^^^^^^^
> a valve thing as I've re-adjusted them 47 times.  It might be coming
> from the cam/tappet area.  I pulled the pushrods to take a look and the

In may well be from the cam/tappet area, but don't write off a "valve
thing" just yet.  The rockers can wear where they come into contact with
the valve stem, making it impossible to adjust with your flat feeler
guage.  The situation looks (vaguely - my ASCII art is never very good)
like this:

               ____________________
              |                    |
              |                    |      <----- Rocker arm
              |____/----------\____|
            ================================ <----- Feeler guage
                  /-----------\
                 |             |
                 |             |          <----- Valve stem
                 |             |

In this scenario, the feeler guage gives an adjustment that is too loose.
The best fix is to replace the offending rocker.  There are tools that
supposedly allow you to obtain proper clearance but I have no experience
with these - I think Gunson sells one called "Click-Adjust" or something
to that effect.  I think there is a company listed in the Monster List
that rebuilds rocker gear for reasonable prices - you might check that out
too.

Hope this helps, and good luck tracking it down.

Mike Burdick
http://www.unmc.edu/~mburdick
Omaha, NE