Spit Distributor

To: triumph-group <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Spit Distributor
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 28 Dec 1996 17:31:21 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 1781632C5C9E9004-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <1781632C5C9E9004*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Hi, everybody and Happy New Year.

With respect to my earlier post to the list, I think I may have jumped the
gun just a wee bit.  I spent most of today adjusting the ignition and carbs
and I "think" everything is alright with my existing distributor.  Here's
the question -

The Haynes manual says to set static timing at 17 degrees before TDC which I
did (I also noted that the Bentley manual says to set it at 13 degrees
before TDC - go figure).  Then, at 2400 RPM there should be an additional 13
degrees of advance - at least I "think" that is what the Bentley and Haynes
manuals were saying, but it was not clear.  Regardless, at approx. 2400 I
get a total advance of about 30 degrees before TDC.  So, it seems to me that
everything is okay because 17 plus 13 equals 30 degrees of advance.  Am I
correct or just nuts?

Otherwise the engine runs GREAT.  The lovely Aisha and I adjusted ignition
system and carbs and it idles well, accelerates well, no hesitation, no
stumbling, no missing, no backfiring and it fires up with very little
cranking.  My God, how long will it last?  Tomorrow morning seems so far
off.  BTW, I pretty much ignored the readings off of my Unisync and simply
used my ears to balance the SUs.  Much easier and I think more accurate.
 The damned Unisync is not all that accurate from my perspective and I am
beginning to think it was a waste of money.  A good set of ears (perhaps I
DO look a bit like Prince Charles, okay) seems to be all one needs.

So, please disregard for now my earlier e-mail seeking a replacement
distributor because it appears that the advance mechanism in mine is
operating properly (or at least until one of you tells me that I'm crazy and
have no idea of how to tune an LBC).  Thanks in advance for the assistance,
it is appreciated.  Cheers,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe (next project)