Re: bentley, exhaust

To: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Subject: Re: bentley, exhaust
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:32:34 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Joseph R Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
> On Feb 1, 10:43am, Joseph R Schneider wrote:
> > Subject: bentley, exhaust
> > recently bought a 76 spit, to be delivered this weekend, needs brakes,
> > exhaust, a few other things, i'd appreciate some help from list
> >
> > 2) andy recommended against monza exhaust because of trouble fitting,
> > durability, and sound (unfortunate since it's on sale for $200 from moss)-
> > any suggestions for alternatives?...

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Doug Mitchell answered:

> I thought that I might address this one. I had heard the same thing
> when I was ready to replace the exhaust on my Spit. What I decided
> on was to buy the GT6 muffler, and with a little adapting, put it
> on the Spit. It sounds better than the stock Spit exhaust, but not
> as noisy as the Monza.

Makes sense, Doug, but I see one problem. I'll assume you're referring to
the GT6+ or Mk.3 style of "transverse" muffler here. I'm not sure it will
fit between the rear frame extensions of the later Spitfire 1500s. (It
works fine on your 1973, which doesn't have these.)

Perhaps a "Mk.1" GT6 muffler would work on a later car?

--Andy