Re: bentley, exhaust

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: bentley, exhaust
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:38:35 -0500 (EST)
Worldly Scions,

Mr. Andy Mace wrote:
> Makes sense, Doug, but I see one problem. I'll assume you're referring to
> the GT6+ or Mk.3 style of "transverse" muffler here. I'm not sure it will
> fit between the rear frame extensions of the later Spitfire 1500s. (It
> works fine on your 1973, which doesn't have these.)
>
> Perhaps a "Mk.1" GT6 muffler would work on a later car?

Mr. Doug Mitchell replies:
>Well, I actually remembered to measure the muffler last night. It is
>24 inches across. I don't know what the width of the later Spit
>mufflers is, but the early muffler is also 24 inches.

This got me curious enough to take out the tape measure.  I measured
four mufflers, which were 20", 21", and two of them at 21.75".  One of
the 21.75" mufflers is new enough to still have a "Walker" label on it.
It came from TRF I believe.  The 21" unit is interesting in that it has a
"plugged" hole facing rearwards on the opposite end from the tail pipe.
It appears as though this same muffler might be used for another 2 pipe
application (1 pipe on each end).

While on the subject of Spit mufflers, I have another (truly pedantic ;-))
question which I have not seen come up on this list before:
What is the "correct" colour for these things.  My cars original
one was matt black.  ISTR that most of them were during that period.
Lately they all seem to be supplied in silver.  Is this a concourse item?
What's all this talk about winter clothes got to do with cars anyway? ;-)

wrt the TRF thread;  I got about half the stuff I ordered at "Winter Sale".
No one likes back-orders, but at least they changed their policy and are
not charging until the items actually ship.

Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com