RE: exhaust for '65 spit

To: "Ed Burger" <eburger@sagelink.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: exhaust for '65 spit
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 06 Feb 1997 07:53:03 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0455232F9FE5F00A-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 06 Feb 1997 07:53:03 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 06 Feb 1997 07:53:03 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0455232F9FE5F00A*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Ed Burger wrote:
Does a 1965 Spit legally need a muffler?  I was thinking of mabyr just
running a pipe out the back.  If not, what mufflers are recommended?  Do
you have to buy lbc mufflers??  Will standard american car mufflers
work?  how about high end mufflers?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ed - I just installed an exhaust system in my 64 Mk I Spit using the
following pieces - I have a Mk II tubular header, I then had a local muffler
shop weld a short straight pipe behind it, then a 30 inch glasspack, then a
straight pipe out the back with a nice bologna slice chrome tip.  Looks
great and sounds terrific.  Total cost was about $100.

I like it because it sounds a little "fat" and "meaty" compared to the vapid
sound of the original resonator and muffler set up.  You can also use the
Supertrap, as others have suggested, or a turbo muffler.  Really, it depends
on how loud you like it.  I agree that the horsepower loss/gain will not be
noticeable (you've only got about 68 hp to play with), but I think you
should have something more than a straightpipe as that would get tiring on a
long drive.  Remember, it may sound good for 20 or 30 minutes, but 2 to 3
hours of the droning will give you one mighty headache.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe