RE: exhaust for '65 spit

To: "Peter Ficklin" <pficklin@qnis.net> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: exhaust for '65 spit
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 10 Feb 1997 08:08:20 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 041A432FF47F4001-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 10 Feb 1997 08:08:20 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 10 Feb 1997 08:08:20 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <041A432FF47F4001*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Peter Ficklin wrote:

[snip]Ross wrote:
Ed - I just installed an exhaust system in my 64 Mk I Spit using the
following pieces - I have a Mk II tubular header, I then had a local
muffler shop weld a short straight pipe behind it, then a 30 inch
glasspack, then a straight pipe out the back with a nice bologna slice
chrome tip.  Looks great and sounds terrific.  Total cost was about
$100.
+++++++++++
Ross,
  What diameter of exhaust tubing did you end up using.  I've heard
different reccommendations, and I've got the same header on my '64.
Also, I'm assuming that the glasspack sits in the center of the car,
below the frame, under the driveshaft, right?  I'm getting close to
wanting to get that done on mine now, too.
Hi, Peter - I went with a 2 inch tube, and yes, the glass pack sits right
under the driveshaft.  One recommendation I would wholeheartedly make is to
use a compression clamp connection at the end of the header pipe so that you
can drop the entire exhaust system in the event you need to drop the
driveshaft for any reason.  When I had to replace a leaking oil seal in the
diff. the pipe was somewhat in the way, although I was able to shove it
enough to the side to do the job.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe