TR6 Exhaust

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Exhaust
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 20:58:32 -0600
Gogglz, (RIP)  my ex- TR 6 came equipped with a zoomy set of pipes and a
header - a monza quick trip in shiny chrome, and 4 chrome pipes out the
back.  Everyone loved the look and the sound.  Then it got louder.  And
louder. AND LOUDER.

It took about two years of hard driving before the boxes were completely
burned out.  Didn't matter to me until the 160 watt Denon power amp
wasn't enough to drown out the din at 70 mph.  Kinda hard to sneak home
at three ayem too without the neighbors knowing.

I would recommend the system if noise is no object.  The upturned pipes
(and associated water entering the mufflers when car washing) are a
likely reason for the short life but boy do they look great!

An alternative might be a pair of "cherry bombs" with resonator tips
welded on the end,  but why bother going to all that trouble?  And,
BTW,  the header (a 6 into 1 style for all those who are still listening
to the echos of that header thread last week) worked just fine.  Cam was
only gof to 5 grand or so but the midrange was fantastic and I got 30
mpg (canadian) regularily at 70 mpg cruising with the top down!

Will soon be fitting one half of a chevy spec Ansa to my GT6 (3 into 1 X
2 style as factory supplied years ago).  I'd appreciate comments and
will pass on same.  Will a 200 watt amp do?

Dave T
"my GTI has a header and an empty Leistritz sport sound too!"