spit 1500 air pump

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit 1500 air pump
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:45:53 -0600
fellow triumph enthusiasts:
a previous owner removed the air pump from my recently acquired 76
california model spit 1500- i've looked only briefly at the engine
compartment, as i survey what needs to be done, i noticed that contrary to
what i was told, the air pump has been removed, california 76s had a
catalytic converter in addition to air pump, initially i'd thought the cat
might be enough to get me past the cook county (illinois) tailpipe sniff,
but as i think about it, catalyst or not, excess hydrocarbons will go out
the tailpipe without an excess of oxygen at the converter, i'm guessing i
need to get a pump-
on a brief survey, it looks as though they simply removed the pump and
brackets, the open end of the rubber hose is still there just below the
alternator, attached to what i believe is a diverter valve, the rest of
system including the check valve and air manifold appears intact (although,
i imagine the tubes may be blocked with exhaust stuff with no flow through
the system for some time)- so, i'm interested in finding a pump and
brackets, anyone out there who is going to or has removed their air pump, i
might be interested in taking it off your hands
thanks
joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
Politically correct means always having to say you're sorry.