Re: TR3 Thermostat

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, EPaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Thermostat
From: "George P. Richardson" <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:43:39 -0500
EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-02-25 00:46:01 EST, johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net
> (John Haynes) writes:
>
> <<  The paramount reason for
>  overheating in a TR2,3,4 is a non stock thermostat or no thermostat.
>  TeriAnn"s description of it is exactly correct. However I must disagree with
>  her statement "the longer the water is in contact with the radiator surface,
>  the more heat can be transfered. Without the restriction of the thermostat
>  slowing down the coolant flow , the coolent just may not have enough contact
>  time to transfer much heat." This statement conveys the mistaken idea that
>  by restricting  the flow the engine will run cooler. What actually happens
>  is, if the flow is slowed in passing through the radiator, the flow through
>  the engine is slowed, the longer the water stays in the engine, the hotter
>  it gets.
>  Sam Haynes 59 TR3 Original Owner >>
>
> Sam;
> I'm now lost on this one.  You  agree that one reason for overheating is the
> absence of a thermostat, but you disagree with the theory that the thermostat
> functions as a physical barrier to slow coolant down and allow more heat
> transfer ?  Why does the absence of a thermostat result in overheating then
> ??
>
> Bob Paul
> TS45738L"O"
> TS7280L

Actually, the real reason is the *pressure* difference. The thermostat
causes a change in pressure. The water in the radiator, before the
thermostat, is under pressure from the water pump, forcing it to give up
heat. The water after the thermostat, in the engine block has a lower
pressure, allowing it to absorb heat. Substitute the appropriate parts
of an automobile air confitioner for the water pump, radiator and engine
block and you'll get the idea.

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L