Re: TR3 Thermostat

To: "Bruce T. Clough" <cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Re: TR3 Thermostat
From: Daniel Pruzan <dpruzan@nearinc.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:30:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bruce

Your description of the way a thermostat works is correct and well
written.

My main point was that removing the thermostat completely can, in some
engines, be very dangerous due to the formation of hot spots.  This is an
insidious problem because the overall coolant temperature may be normal
while a small region is overheating.  Since this problem is very specific
to the internal design of the engine it would be virtually impossible to
say (without actual experience) if an engine is susceptible.  With this
in mind I felt it was important to let people know that they shouldn't
casually remove their thermostat.  I also feel that if a simple
explanation of the physics is provided, most people will be more willing
to accept the advice of a stranger.

Dan Pruzan
71 Stag
Santa Clara, CA