Re: Monza: HOW LOUD?

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Monza: HOW LOUD?
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 10:12:26 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>That's an interesting comment. I was considering adding a high power sound
>system to my TR6/Ford 5.0, building it in while the car is under
>construction. I'm concerned, though, that if I have it loud enough to drown
>out all the road noise, especially with the top down, It might be harmful to
>my hearing. Any thoughts on this?

It's been a well documented problem with motorcycles for a long long time now.
Chronic
exposure to highway noise (top down driving) causes substantial hearing loss.
Annoyingly,
most states prohibit the wearing of hearing protection while driving (though
driving deaf
is perfectly legal).  Motorcycles have an advantage in that the helmet covers
the ears so
the cops can't see your ear plugs.

A stereo capable of drowning out the sounds of cars and semi's going down the
interstate
will make matters worse as far as your ears are concerned.

A good indicator of serious overexposure to loud sounds is what you hear when
you stop.  I
get it all the time touring.  Lay in bed and I can still hear the roar of the
road.  If
you are talking loud after a trip, or still hear highway sounds, you are doing
serious
damage to your hearing.