Re: OD wires question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: OD wires question
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 13:17:59 -0700
Mike M. writes;
  < snip >
>I bought a new column mount switch and the proper wiring.  But it appears
>that the manual calls for a relay in the circuit somewhere.  Do I need a
>relay?
  < snip >
Technically you don't need the relay, but its a REALLY REALLY good idea.
The relay will handle much more current than the switch, and will prevent
the switch from burning out because it's handling more current than it was
designed for.  You should also use the transmission mounted switches to
prevent actuation of the overdrive unit while in first, second, and reverse
to prevent damage to the ovd.  The switch just actuates the relay when
allowed to by the switches on the transmission.  The relay handles or
switches on the ovd.  Power for both can be from any + 12V ignition switched
source.
Hope that wasn't too confusing. . .

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)