Slow drain on battery :

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Slow drain on battery :
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 11:36:48, -0500
-- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

All;

I have been fighting a nagging electrical problem on my '78 Spitfire.
When the car was stored last year it had a brand new SEARS Diehard
battery.  I charged it periodically during the idle time ( 6 months ).
Now that the car is running again it turns over veery slowly and
barely starts.  The alternator did have a loose wire, the wire appears
to go to the warning light circuit.  Fixed it last night.  The battery
was charged overnight and still the car starts hard.

Other things done : cleaned battery, topped off water in cells,
replaced all battery cables, cleaned alternator connectors, checked for
slow drain ( 14 miliamps I think ) removed all fuses and got same
results.

I am going to be re-locating the battery to the trunk soon and go to a
bigger size, but hate to kill it.

Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( back on the road and daily driver )
'68 Scout ( leaking ... more than any LBC )
'92 Honda ( backup daily driver )
'68 Lemans ( next project... )

Any ideas are very welcome, I