Re: Slow drain on battery :

To: tedtsimx@bright.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Slow drain on battery :
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 02:27:23, -0500
-- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Ted;

Thanks for the idea, just got back from the shop and read your message.
You were quite right !
Ran an alterantor charging test and a battery load test with good
results, then ran a starter drain test and the starter drew 112 amps...
hmm... removed said starter.  Disassembled it and it was toasted quite
nicely inside... new starter time.  I am relieved since I have  a
freshly rebuilt alternator ( by me ) a amp gauge that was not showing a
charging problem... guess I will trust them from now on.

Thanks again and keep em on the road...

Chris

> Date: Tuesday, 01-Jul-97 09:53 PM
>
> From: Ted Schumacher           \ Internet:    (tedtsimx@bright.net)
> To:   Christopher Reilly       \ PRODIGY:     (Spitfire15)
>
> Subject: Re: Slow drain on battery :
>
> CHRISTOPHER J REILLY wrote:
> >
> > -- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
> >
> > All;
> >
> > I have been fighting a nagging electrical problem on my '78 Spitfire
..
> > When the car was stored last year it had a brand new SEARS Diehard
> > battery.  I charged it periodically during the idle time ( 6 months
).
> > Now that the car is running again it turns over veery slowly and
> > barely starts.  The alternator did have a loose wire, the wire
appears
> > to go to the warning light circuit.  Fixed it last night.  The
battery
> > was charged overnight and still the car starts hard.
> >
> > Other things done : cleaned battery, topped off water in cells,
> > replaced all battery cables, cleaned alternator connectors, checked
for
> > slow drain ( 14 miliamps I think ) removed all fuses and got same
> > results.
> >
> > I am going to be re-locating the battery to the trunk soon and go to
> > bigger size, but hate to kill it.
> >
> > Chris in Utah
> > '78 Spitfire ( back on the road and daily driver )
> > '68 Scout ( leaking ... more than any LBC )
> > '92 Honda ( backup daily driver )
> > '68 Lemans ( next project... )
> >
> > Any ideas are very welcome, I
> chris, try putting  a starter draw meter on the starter - maybe the
slow
> cranking is not the battery. ted
> --
> Ted Schumacher
> TS Imported Automotive
> 404 Basinger Rd.
> Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
> Ph. 800/543-6648 (sorry, USA only)
> Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
> FAX 419/384-3272 - 24 hrs
> New-Used-Rebuilt-NOS-Performance British car parts.
> We also have used sports cars for sale.
> Always 200 - 300 cars for parts in our British-only
> salvage yard.
>
> For the finest in British car apparel, accessories and regalia, be
sure to
> check with our MotoringXtras store. We also have an extensive line of
Black &