Re: Searching for info on "TRIUMPH-AIRE AIR CONDITIONING" '65 Herald

Subject: Re: Searching for info on "TRIUMPH-AIRE AIR CONDITIONING" '65 Herald
From: Michael Marr <mmarr@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 09:24:42 -0500
VATAINC@aol.com wrote:

> I have recently purchased a 1965 Herald Saloon. The car has the  fan/blower
> unit for the dealer installed "TRIUMPH-AIRE AIR CONDITIONING" .  The
> fan/blower unit is placed just below the dash on the passenger side of the
> car. There are four vents and three fan speeds. The car does not have any of
> the pieces that would have been normally fitted in the engine compartment.,
> i.e. compressor, brackets, hoses, etc.  .
>
> A piece of sales literature from  the Standard-Triumph Motor Company , Inc.
>  111 Galway Place, Teaneck, N.J. , titled Triumph Accessories, from some time
> between 1965-1967 describes  the  unit as follows :
>
> "TRIUMPH-AIRE AIR CONDITIONING. Now your economy 1200 becomes a luxury car
> with the addition of  TRIUMPH-AIRE . Cools car in 3 minutes. Full
> 1 1/2  ton capacity yet it takes only 1/2 hp to run. Four separately
> controllable cooling vents make certian that each passenger travels in
> perfect comfort. Instant action, three fan speeds, does not interfere with
> leg or trunk room. Only custom air conditioner available for an economy car.
>   V360 "
>
> Does anyone have any additional information that would help in identifying
>  the missing parts. I have been unable to find any Triumph dealer parts list
> / installation instruction for this unit. Was this unit used in other cars of
> this era?
>
> I could be in for a tough time as the Answer Man - Andy Mace said he has
> never seen one of these units in a Herald.
>
> Thanks for any help or direction you can offer.
>
> Tom Call, Portland, OR
> '65 Herald Saloon

If you consider that the most efficient, large centrifugal chillers
operate at around .5 kW/Ton, this unit is nothing short of amazing!  1
1/2 tons from 1/2 HP (.249 kW/Ton)?  I think not...

The compressor is more likely to consume 2-3 HP, which is quite a high
percentage of the horsepower available.  I think I'd rather have the
horsepower go to the wheels.