re: Slow drain on battery

To: Spitfire15@prodigy.com
Subject: re: Slow drain on battery
From: acrane@crosslink.net (Alan Crane)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:47:56 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Slow starting, as from a weak battery or poor connection, is hard on the
starter.  The commutator can build up a layer of oxide that then further
reduces current, even after the battery is fixed.  If your starter is like
the one on my TR4A, you can remove a cover over the brushes and check the
commutator.  It should be bright and shiny.  If dull, remove the starter and
disassemble it (not very difficult but pay attention so you can get it back
together correctly, especially the brushes).  Polish the commutator with
crocus cloth to get a bright coppery shine.  This made a big difference on
my car.

Alan Crane
67 TR4A