aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 16:52:43 -0400
What have I done?
My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so a
recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
could do.  Symptoms: lots of play in the steering; the car sags to the
passenger side; carb leaks fuel, and idle is too high.  My gut feeling
is that their labor rate is too high, and perhaps some of the things
really don't need to be done:

1)Install a new rack, new tie rod ends, a new shaft and u joint and
align the front end.  Parts $535, labor $205
2) Install front springs - Parts $76, Labor $220
3) Install rear springs - Parts $90, Labor $138
4) Install front end "major suspension kit", which replaces all the worn
bushings and things like that. - Parts $638, Labor $550
5) Carb rebuild (both carbs) Parts - $86, Labor $330
6) Install new vacuum advance $65 for used part, $55 labor

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Sirmoog