brake flares

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brake flares
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:16:23 -0700 (PDT)
Managed to remove one of the master cylinder flare nuts-- the hose broke
off and I used a 6-point socket on a small ratchet.  By the looks of the
hose, however, it's been replaced about 3 times; the piece I broke is
about 8 inches long and is followed by another a foot long.

However, I am faced with a dilemma involving the flared lines.
Somewhere, somehow, my dad's got a flaring tool, but the only things we
can find thusfar are the inserts; missing the clamp and the press.  A new
one (by Hastings) will cost me $60 cdn.  Same store with the tool will
double-flare my hoses for $5 an end.

but... the car doesn't have flared ends!  There's a brass ring around the
line and that's what gets crushed by the flare nut.  I've never
encountered these in brake systems, but they look a lot like a plumbing
fitting for, say, a toilet or sink hookup.

Can anyone tell me if there's a better method?  It seems to me that a
brass ring would be more prone to corrosion that a flared tube, but maybe
it's cheaper (?)  How do you get the ring on the tube so it will fit?

-Malcolm