Re: Upper pivot grease fitting

To: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Subject: Re: Upper pivot grease fitting
From: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 19:46:14 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
WINDOWSEET@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience in drilling and inserting a zerk fitting in the
> upper pivot of a Triumph Spitfire or GT6 front suspension. These were offered
> as options from the factory. I would think that drilling a hole, tapping it
> and screwing in the grease fitting is all that would be required but I'd like
> to know if anyone has done this succesfully?
>
> Greg Wolf
> 70 GT6+ "Ian"

I don't have any experience with this, but I would think that if you
drilled a hole in a sealed fitting that the metal fragments that would
remain in the fitting, regardless of how well you might be able to clean
it out (and I don't really see how you could clean it out) would cause
more wear than would be prevented by being able to add grease.

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L
(still in the works)