Re: Undercoating

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Undercoating
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 13:25:42 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Greg Wolf wrote:
>         > Does anyone have any suggestions for a safe way to remove
>         > undercoating?
>
> If you have air, an air-powered chisel works beautifully, and quickly.
> Applied intelligently, you wont even scratch the metal.
>
>         Shane Ingate in San Diego
Here's a less destructive way to remove undercoat. Before sending my
Tiger out to be Redi-Stripped, I used and electric heat gun and paint
scrappers to get that black junk off. There's no open flame, so it won't
catch fire. My gas tanks were removed, so stay away from that area with
the heat if yours is still on the car! It gets the undercoat so hot that
it just lifts off with the scrapper. After it cools, wipe with kerosene
or other low voilitility solvent to remove any residue. You'll actually
uncover the original factory paint, if there's any left.