Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!

To: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
From: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 12:49:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Sybill (and all others who have responded):
I certainly appreciate the pep talks and encouragment that everyone has
given me about doing these things myself.  However, there are two major
issues that make this impossible:
1) I have very little time.  I do have some (but not enormous amounts)
of money to throw at the car, but time is in short supply, and I would
like the car driveable for the summer (cool car).
2) I don't trust the eval. by the mechanic.  How do I know if the rack
really needs to be replaced, if the shaft and U-joint are bad, if all
the bushings need to be replaced, etc.
Most people have stated that the prices, both parts and labor, are way
too high.  This not withstanding, I guess is still need to find a
competent "diagnostician" to first tell me what "really needs to be
fixed".  Further questions for the group:
How often to racks need to be replaced?
How often to carbs need complete rebuilds?
Sirmoog