Re: Generator pedestal and bolt

To: Gerald Levit <Gerald.Levit@ccmail.irs.gov>
Subject: Re: Generator pedestal and bolt
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 23:18:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gerald Levit wrote:

>      In removing the bolt from the pedestal that secures the generator on
>      my TR3, I noticed that the bolt was not straight and had threads
>      missing.  What options do I have.
>
>             1.  replace pedestal
>
>             2.  retap pedestal with same size thread, but corse instead of
>      original fine thread.
>
>             3.  Use a Helic Coil.

If the bolt is bent and has threads missing, it was probably
cross-threaded when last installed, or perhaps was not tightened
securely. Check the bolt, too. It's possible that it was a replacement
of inferior grade and failed when torqued to a value which the original
replacement could manage. Check the mating threads to see if they are
damaged, as well. It is possible that they may only need to be cleaned
up with a thread chaser, and a new bolt can be installed. The simplest
test of how to proceed is to clean up the mating threads, if necessary,
and install a new bolt of the correct grade. Torque to the proper value.
And then check it after running for a bit. If it's loose, the mating
threads have yielded, and you will have to repair them. If it won't
tighten to the proper torque, then the threads are surely damaged.
HeliCoil is probably the best way to do that repair. If the bolt holds
fine after some running time, carefully remove the bolt, coat it with
some red Loctite, and re-install and torque. I wouldn't use the green
Loctite, or you'll have to use dynamite to get it out later. If red
Loctite won't keep it from vibrating loose, it will probably need a
HeliCoil.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....