Re: Spit1500, car radio installation question

To: Romano Kroemer <romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spit1500, car radio installation question
From: Damian Penney <dpenney@fortpt.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 16:00:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Romano Kroemer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am thinking of installing a car radio in my Spit.
> Who has done this and what are the most important things
> to consider? Some more specific questions:
>
> - How and where should I connect it to? (I am not an
>     electronic freak and have virually no idea).
> - Should the connection be fused and how do I achieve
>    this?

The radio should come with any leads requiring fuses already fused so no
problem there, just follow the installation instructions that come with
it.

> - Do I have anything to do in order to avoid distortions
>    from the electrical system of the car, and if yes,
>    what?

No

> - What is the best place to install the loudspeakers?
>    (I guess the best/only place is the panel behind
>     the seats where the boot is)

I actually had my speakers installed in the glove compartments pointing
down into the footwell, there isn't too much space behind the back panel
but depending on the depth of your speakers it may be okay.

> - at the moment the Spit has some panel with a radio
>    sized hole in it under the dashboard, but is it
>    enough to install a radio there, or do I need some
>    special device? If yes, where could I get something
>    like that? (or how could I build it myself?)

Yes this should be fine

> - What kind of antenna (aerial) should I get? I actually
>    do not want to drill holes into my sheet metal. So
>    I would prefer an antenna which is just a piece of
>    wire attached to the windscreen frame or something
>    similar. Any recommendations?

Can't help you there, sorry.

> Romano
> Spit 1500, sapphire blue