Re: Spit1500, car radio installation question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit1500, car radio installation question
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:08:28 +0100
>Dear all,

Hi Romano, welcome to the list (I'm presuming you are a new subscriber as I
haven't seen a post from you before).

>I am thinking of installing a car radio in my Spit.
>Who has done this and what are the most important things
>to consider? Some more specific questions:

>- What is the best place to install the loudspeakers?
    (I guess the best/only place is the panel behind
    the seats where the boot is)

    Do check clearances in this area - I'm almost too embarrassed to mention
    that I cut lovely round holes in the trim board in my car, fitted the
    speakers and then replaced the board in the car.  The speaker magnets had
    about a 1 inch interference with the petrol tank which I then had to
relieve
    by using my largest hammer (NOT recommended).  The tank now holds about 1/4
    gallon less petrol than it originally did.

    Smaller speakers can also be fitted in the doors, but this is not ideal as
    they have to be positioned low down so they fire at your feet or directly
    into the seat.  There are two access holes in the door inner panel that
will
    accept the speaker cones if you cut the holes in the trim board to match.

    (The original equipment, optional extra, radio had a mono speaker mounted
on
    the passenger side shelf.  I don't think the Spitfire was ever offered with
    a stereo installation, in the UK anyway)

>- at the moment the Spit has some panel with a radio
   sized hole in it under the dashboard, but is it
   enough to install a radio there, or do I need some
   special device? If yes, where could I get something
   like that? (or how could I build it myself?)

    There is a standard DIN aperture here than can be used for radio
    installation, however I have filled this space with an oil pressure, volt
    meter and clock.  I managed to mount the radio on the driver side shelf
    where it is much more hidden from view (a necessary requirement for soft
    tops in my opinion).

    Hope this helps

    Pat
    '78 Spit still undergoing major workover