Spit1500, car radio installation question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit1500, car radio installation question
From: romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:03:52 +0100 (BST)
Dear all,

I am thinking of installing a car radio in my Spit.
Who has done this and what are the most important things
to consider? Some more specific questions:

- How and where should I connect it to? (I am not an
    electronic freak and have virually no idea).
- Should the connection be fused and how do I achieve
   this?
- Do I have anything to do in order to avoid distortions
   from the electrical system of the car, and if yes,
   what?
- What is the best place to install the loudspeakers?
   (I guess the best/only place is the panel behind
    the seats where the boot is)
- at the moment the Spit has some panel with a radio
   sized hole in it under the dashboard, but is it
   enough to install a radio there, or do I need some
   special device? If yes, where could I get something
   like that? (or how could I build it myself?)
- What kind of antenna (aerial) should I get? I actually
   do not want to drill holes into my sheet metal. So
   I would prefer an antenna which is just a piece of
   wire attached to the windscreen frame or something
   similar. Any recommendations?

Romano
Spit 1500, sapphire blue
Oxford, UK