Re: GT6 Chassis number

To: tcarney@concentric.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Chassis number
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 06:26:17 +0200
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi again Tom,
let's see here, You talk chassis numbering again...  ;-)

The Brit's who (somehow) put the Triumphs together talked about
(and I quote out of the original GT6 litterature):

"The Commission number,
        paint and trim code numbers are stamped on the plate attached to the
bonnet scuttle side panel. The body number is stamped on a separate
plate mounted below (or under -My comment) the commission number plate."

"The rear axle number
         is stamped on the hypoid housing flange."

"The engine serial number
         is stamped on the left-hand side of the cylinder block."

"The gearbox serial number
         is stamped on the side of the gearbox casing flange."

"In all communication relating to service or spares, please quote the
vehicle commission number, the paint and trim code, if relevant, and the
serial number of the unit affected."

Nowhere is the little welded tag under the steering rack, with the frame
number, mentioned... But on the other hand not many frames do have it
attached. The chassis number you talk about is, I guess, a leftover from
the legal issues around registering a vehicle for the road in a
country... We have the same terminology over here in Sweden. The vehicle
identification number, AKA chassis number, is the commission number on
the vehicle. And the inspectors tend to get kind of irritated when they
find out it only exist on a little, pop riveted, aluminium plate... When
it according to our regulations are supposed to be stamped into "a
significant part of the vehicle chassis or body"... Boy do they get mad
sometimes! But what can a poor owner do, but point to the fact "It's
British..." . (And hope the inspector never finds the - if fitted -
frame number tag! 'Cause then he'd get REALLY mad!)

So the "chassis number" Your registration papers should point to is the
Commission number. (Forget about the frame number, but be glad You're
one of the lucky few who's got one.)

/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg