Need Second Opinion Re Clutch

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Need Second Opinion Re Clutch
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:19:38 -0500 (CDT)
I have appreciated the continuing thread about TR6 clutches.  I bought
this '73 a year ago and finally got it on the road last month.  Now the
clutch is gone again.  The hydraulics are new and tight.  New clutch,
pressure plate, shaft/bushes, and taper pin.  Thrust washers are within spec.

When I climbed under to measure how far the slave rod was pushing, I
found that I could easily move the T.O. Fork Shaft Lever by hand at least
5/8 inch.  So I am thinking that my brand new, hardened taper pin from
MOSS is already broken.  :-(

Could it be that the Pressure Plate of the clutch has gone bad after only
300 miles?  The last two cars I owned had 182.000 and 139.000 on the
clutches and were still going strong when I sold them.  So I have never
seen a bad Pressure Plate.  What visual cues tell one that the springs in
the Pressure Plate are toast?  Is there a way to test these things other
than jumping up and down on them? ;-)

Well, anyway, I know what I will be doing this weekend!

TIA

        Michael, St. Louis, U.S. of A.