TR6 Cam problem

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Cam problem
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 10 Jul 97 14:30:46 EDT
Listers-

After a great deal of wrestling with getting fuel issues corrected on my weber-
downdrafted, pertronix/sport coiled  but otherwise stock TR6, the mechanic has
diagnosed a worn cam problem ( mileage on car not documented so odometer reading
irrelevant).  He states ( I haven't yet seen for myself)he's measured  varying
lifter measurements that indicates worn cam and, in his view, explains why he
can't get the engine to run close to right  without having to set carbs overly
rich.I 've been driving it and it runs strong under acceleration but rough at
steady speeds or at idle, no matter whas done with timing or carb settings.  He
recommends replacing with stock cam since I intend this to be a daily driver,
new lifters, chain, tensioner and maybe sprockets if wear is indicated. He feels
that other aspects of engine are strong ( compression, oil pressure, general
feel and sound) so this should hold me for 1-3 years while I prepare financially
and time wise for a total rebuild if I go that route.

Does this diagnosis make sense?  Does an entire valve job as well make sense at
this juncture just because I can, though there are no symptoms of bad valves(so
he says anyway)?

Keith Ehrlich