Re: Sport Coil and Crane XR-700 connections :

Subject: Re: Sport Coil and Crane XR-700 connections :
From: "Atwell Haines" <Carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 97 09:01:22 PDT
Hi Chris,

I just became an "Expert" last month when I was installing a Crane ignition in
my '79 Spit.

The XR700 ignition is designed to be run with a ballast resistor, according to
the Tech Line people at Crane.  Their XR3000 ignition is designed to run at the
full 12V (no ballast).

Spitfires (at least my '79) dont have a ballast resistor.  Instead they have a
resistance WIRE (pink/white) that runs from the starter solenoid to the
ignition switch (active when the key is in the ON position).  This wire is
bypassed during START to provide the full 12V when cranking. During normal
running you should measure 7-9V at the + side of the coil.  So don't put an
additional ballast resistor in, just 'cause you can't see one!

The Crane folks say that while running the XR700 on 12v (without the ballast
resistor) won't hurt it for a while, long term you need to use one (overheats
the transistors), or upgrade to the XR3000.

The Crane tech line is at  904-258-9055.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire FM96062
'88 Lotus Esprit
'88 Mustang 5.0