Fwd: Sport Coil and Crane XR-700 connections :

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Sport Coil and Crane XR-700 connections :
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:31, -0500
-- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Date: Wednesday, 09-Jul-97 01:10 PM
>
> From: Chris Reilly             \ PRODIGY:     (PJKT24A)
> To:   Triumph List             \ Internet:    (triumphs@autox.team.net
)

> Subject: Sport Coil and Crane XR-700 connections :
>

> Hi;
>
> I just purchased a Sport coil for my ''78 Spitfire and it indicates
that I need
> no balast resistor for it.  I currently have the Crane Xr-700 ignition
on my
> car.  Can I just bypass the ballast resistor at it's connectors and
take it out
> of the circuit ? Will this affect the Crane ? I have no docs on the
Crane ...

> Any info appreciated  Chris

Ok, now the plot thickens, I have got a response that I do not need a
resistor for the new sport coil and now I find that I have 2
resistance points in the wiring. I am looking at the circuit diagram for
this car and find that I have a resistor ( white  and white/blue wires )
and a resistance wire ? One is referred to as a plain resistor ( found
it located by the alternator ) and the other is labelled as
a resistance wire ... haven't found it.

I know empirically that the coil is in the same circuit as the resistor
( did a continuity test from it to a like wire on the coil .. white/red
or black ? ).  Can anyone tell me what the resistance wire does ? Is it
unrelated to the coil ? It is connected as follows in order form the pos
battery terminal . bat+ , Starter soleniod, resistor wire,  then
supplies to several components ( alt indicator, low brake ind, high beam
ind ). Thats just a taste of where it goes...

Any light that can be shed on this Lucas darkness would be appreciated .
.. I am digging through all my ASE books here and if I do figure it out
I will let everyone know.  Wiring is soo much fun...

Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( headers getting wrapped, new coil, alternator and may
actually race this weekend ! )
'92 Honda ( Backup autocrosser )

------- FORWARD, End of original message -------