Re: Wool Carpet

To: Joseph Burlein <josephb@bluedevils.aftac.gov>
Subject: Re: Wool Carpet
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 09:30:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joseph Burlein wrote:

> Dean,
>
> How long have you had the carpet in the car?  Daily driver or weekend
> driver?
>
> Joe
>
> On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Dean C. Paige wrote:
>
> > Joseph Burlein wrote:
> > >
> > > Listers,
> > >
> > > I am replacing the interior of my TR-6 and was thinking about using the
> > > "original" wool carpet style.  I have heard that it tends to fad rather
> > > rapidly however, forcing you to rebuy in nylon.  Anyone with experience
> > > in this area?
> > >
> > > Joe Burlein
> > > 72 TR-6
> > > Melbourne, FL
> >

> > Just redid my entire 73-TR interior and used the upgraded wool carpets
> > from Moss (black). The quality is good to excellent with absolutely no
> > fitting problems. After years of interior carpeting cut, sewn and
> > installed at home I'm really happy to be back to an interior that looks
> > as good or better than it did when the car was new.
> >
> >  No experience yet with fading. I keep a Tonneau or car cover over the
> > vehicle almost all the time so I dont think I'll have a problem. Seems to
> > me though, if fading is the only problem it could be solved with a
> > judicious application of fabric color spray of the appropriate shade.
> > Much more cost effective.
> >
> > Dean
> >
> > 73 TR-6
> > 85 XJ-6

Has'nt been in long now maybe a month or two. Car is a daily driver, 40
miles round trip. Plus it is used extensively on the weekends ( cruises
to the wine country, trips to SF, and regular visits to Santa Barbara
where my sailing soul still abides). If the original carpets in the car
were wool, and I'm not sure of that, they were not at all bad.
Considering the fact that my early days in the car were wild and wooly
modestly speaking. Top down constantly in CA and before that winters in
Chicago for three years where the TR and I grew up, I thought the carpets
did well in lasting the 7 or so years that they did.

More (relatively speaking and certainly not politically) conservative
now. The TR interior is seam sealed so thoroughly i think the dam thing
would float, all body leaks noted with high pressure washing have been
located and sealed, new top is on and as water tight as can be expected
and I don't hesitate to pull out carpets and pads if they get too wet in
one of our N. CA floods, and leave them out til the worst is over.

Dean