Re: alternator for TR4A

To: Dave Page <davepage@intergate.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: alternator for TR4A
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:58:30 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dave Page wrote:

> I've been toying with the idea of converting the 4A from a generator-based
> to alternator-based charging system.  I recently saw a 4A at a meet that had
> the conversion.  The owner used an alternator off a '67 Rambler.  Is there
> perhaps a more easily found unit that can be used?  What else is involved in
> the changeover?  Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
>
> Dave Page
> '66 TR4A IRS
Dave, take a cue from the hot rod set and use the GM 65 amp single wire
alt.! I did this conversion on my Tiger several years ago, and it was a
big improvment over the wimpy 25 amp generator. The only big chage is
that you have to rig a volmeter in place of the amp gauge, which was no
big deal. If the generator hangs anything like the alt on my TR6,
working out a way to hang it should pose no big prob's.