Re: alternator for TR4A

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: alternator for TR4A
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:06:48 -0400
Agree with Dan Masters, use a Delco two wire unit.  I went one further on a
conversion of a TR3B, I did all the interconnections in a gutted control box
and fitted a wide Lucar connector to the alternator output, so the wiring
harness was left unmodified, and conversion back to a generator was simple.
I used an alternator for a '79 Camaro w/o air conditioning.

As Dan stated, the alternator output is at least twice the 19 amps of the
Lucas generator, so if you are adding loads greater than what's normally on
an early TR, then you have to run an 8 gauge wire from the alternator
output to the starter solenoid input.  Learn not to burn.

Bruce Clough