TR2,3,A,B - Under, neutral or over-steer?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2,3,A,B - Under, neutral or over-steer?
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 12:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
   Would anyone like to take a stab at characterizing the typical steering
behavior of the sidescreen Triumphs?  My sense is that they
characteristically understeer - until they begin to slide.  To my mind, a
predisposition to slide is their defining handling characteristic.
   A car spinning out as the result of a slide is in a massive oversteer
situation, but that is not what has happened with my TR-3A.  Rather, it
seems to drift sideways "controllably".  (I'm running Michelin X 165s -
more on the radial/bias ply issue in a later post).
   What would your characterization of the TR2,3,A,B steering
characteristics say about how to drive them safely, effectively and enjoyably?
    I have other questions, observations and lore on suspensions, handling
and driving.  Would others enjoy a thread on these topics?
   John Cowan