Spitfire Crankcase ventilation :

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Crankcase ventilation :
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:21:22, -0500
-- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

All;

First off I would like to thank everyone for the help on connecting up
the crane xr-700 and the Lucas Sport Coil, they are happily co-existing
now.  The throttle response is much improved and as someone noted I
actually had to drop the idle speed.  The car made it's first appearance
at this Sunday's autocross and I was very excited.  It ran strong and is
a blast to drive !! Now I remember why I bought this car.  Hands were
shaking after the first run ... no more Honda Civics for this driver !!!

The one problem that I did have was crankcase blowby, I have no
emissions on this '78 and vent from the valve cover into a stylish coke
can.  It is perforated  on top to vent gas, but catch oil.  I had oil
coming out of the dipstick and the top of valve cover by the screws.  In
looking at the original Spitfire owners manual I saw something that
might explain this, there is supposed to be some kind of mesh screen
that keeps oil from blowing out of the breather tube.  I don't think I
have one since I just redid the cover and did not see one when
sandblasting it.  Looking in the TRF catalog I dont see one listed.  Is
there such a thing ? I will be taking the cover off again to check this
out, but any ideas on a suitible replacement screen would be appreciated
..

Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( DSP/ST , 6th place, more grinning than Joker ! )
'92 Honda ( reliable, dependable... boring ? )