RE: Spitfire Crankcase ventilation :

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Crankcase ventilation :
From: Spitfire15@prodigy.com ( CHRISTOPHER J REILLY)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:10:23, -0500
-- [ From: Chris Reilly * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

David;

I previously had a hose going to the carb ( Weber conversion ) and it
was sucking lots of oil into the carb and ruining the idle.  Hence the
curent solution.  I am planning on setting up a carbon canistor and oil
catch can similar to the original on the car eventually.  I think I had
plugged breather tube on my car yesterday because while the problem was
bad when I got to the event it improved after the first run... figured I
blew out the blackage with all the high revs...

I would check your hoses on your car for clogging, may be the nebulus
screen I am looking for is clogged on your valve cover outlet.

watch out on PCV valves, I understand they are rated for specific
pressure for each car ( someone correct me on this... ) and you need to
use the right one on your car i.e. original.

Chris in Utah
'78 Spitfire ( yea it spits up once in a while... it teething ! )

> Date: Monday, 14-Jul-97 01:15 PM
>
> From: Childs David             \ Internet:    (dchilds@lawson.epri.com
)
> To:   Christopher J Reilly     \ PRODIGY:     (Spitfire15)
>
> Subject: RE: Spitfire Crankcase ventilation :
>
> I have exactly the same problem, oil is coming out of the dip stick
and
> out around the valve cover.  My problem (I think) is that I am no
longer
> maintaining a vacuum in the valve cover.  There was a hose going from
> the carb to the valve cover that I removed!  I will inset a PCV valve
in
> there
> and I hope to get both good performance and minimize the oil leaks.
> Dave C
> 79 Spit
> 75 Spit (parts)

In