Caveat - distributor installation -TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Caveat - distributor installation -TR6
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 00:21:53 -0400 (EDT)
        Just wanted to pass along a dumb thing I did so at least one
of you will learn from my experience.

        I removed my distributor to clean, lubricate, set clearance
(according to Bentley).
When installing the top portion of the distributor shaft (the part that does
the centifugal
advance), I thought that it can only fit the correct way. WRONG
Assumption!!! Of the two possible ways (the
correct way and 180 degrees out of phase), it went in the 180 degree bad
way( but I didn't know
it at the time). I continued and set the dwell according to spec. Tried to
start and got
the loudest backfire I've ever heard. Of course, it never started.

        After much frustration, anxiety, and reading, I rolled the car so
that the timing
mark was at about 0 degrees. Guess what? The rotor was NOT pointing anywhere
near #1 cylinder.
In fact, it was backwards. So, back out, and in the right way, and timed.
Runs real
well, now.

        Jeff ("still learning after all these years") Nathanson

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.