TR steering box leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR steering box leak
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:07:09 +0100
Hello list, been quite for a while as I have been messing around with my
new Triumph of the two wheeled kind (not the place for questions about
that, even if it carries the correct name). Anyway, back to business, The
TR is coming along nicely as I put all efforts into all those bits and
pieces that if not done at this stage will be rushed when it comes time to
fit them to the restored body shell and will let the car down, anyway I
digress yet again. I rebuilt the steering box some time back, not without a
useful smattering of advice from the list as always, but it continues to
leak from the front of the stator tube to spite my efforts to stop the
flow. When I first spotted it I loosened off the gland nut, put some sealer
around the threads and tightened again. This was fine for about two weeks
then it all started again. I wonder if I have the gland collar is fitted
the right way round, can the nut be over tightened as the collar seems
quite knackered at this stage from all the ajustments. I know this is a
problem area, but has anyone any tips. I have ordered another new gland
collar and will start again. Thanks in advance as always.

P.S Have you checked out our club web site as set up by the bro. I am
nearly sure we are the only classic car club in this country with a site,
and yet we are one of the smaller clubs, not bad eh !!.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.