Re: TR steering box leak

To: John Gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: TR steering box leak
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:29:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John Gillis wrote:

snip
> I rebuilt the steering box some time back, not without a
> useful smattering of advice from the list as always, but it continues to
> leak from the front of the stator tube to spite my efforts to stop the
> flow. When I first spotted it I loosened off the gland nut, put some sealer
> around the threads and tightened again. This was fine for about two weeks
> then it all started again. I wonder if I have the gland collar is fitted
> the right way round, can the nut be over tightened as the collar seems
> quite knackered at this stage from all the ajustments.
snip

John,

My TR3B came to my with a major bodge to the control head, the turn
signals and horn were wired to auxillary switches installed on the
dash!  :-()  The stator tube, gland nut and collar were long gone. Had a
heck of a time finding a stator tube, and I bought a control head, the
gland nut and the collar (the Brits call them the olive) from Moss US.

As I test fitted the assemblies on the bench, I was concerned the olive
would leak, as the stator tube showed signs of wear in the area the
compression fit would take place. I was tempted to "clean up" the stator
tube with #600 sandpaper to smooth out the finish but decided against
it. I didn't want to remove any surface area at the critical spot. The
olive supplied by Moss US has a lip going round one end, and a split
thruogh it vertically.

With the stator tube not installed, I test fitted the olive and gland
nut. I decided the lip of the olive goes towards the steering box, not
the gland nut.

I installed it this way with no thread sealant and so far, it hasn't
leaked. If only I could say that about other parts of the car!  ;-)
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/