Opinions?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Opinions?
From: Scott Decker <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:45:48 -0400
Listers:

I will be purchasing a GT6 very soon to replace my (sniff) old Mk. 1.  In the
collective HO's of the list, which of the years have the best parts
availability, hot rod potential, handling, etc?  My old '68 was fine, but could
not hold a candle to some built GT6+'s out there.  I'm not a big fan of the Mk.
III's either (they look too much like a 240Z, plus smog stuff), but would
consider it if there is an overwhelming reason (like, you can get all the parts
more easily).

I'm looking for a 69 or 70 GT6+, as they seem to have the upgraded suspension
and engine is more tunable.  Is this ridiculous?  Also, did the rear end and
transmission change much in those years?  My '68 tranny and rear end seemed to
be constructed of toothpicks.  I don't mind working on these things, and I
understand fully that part of the love of owning a TR is doing the work
yourself.  However, gearboxes and I don't get along in the garage!  ;<)

Just wondering if anyone has any comments.  It will basically be a souped up
streeter, not a full blast autocrosser.

TIA,

Scott