Re: Confused on my Spit lineage

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Confused on my Spit lineage
From: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:38:17 -0700
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe Whalley wrote:

> I have a 72 Spitfire (to be put on the road this week !) that I am not sure as
> to what it is made of.

Joe,

Your car is made of STEEL like all real automobiles.<g>

But really, welcome to the list. It's not unusual to have one of these
beasties that is made up from many different sources. Since the
Herald/Spitfire range stayed basically the same from 1959 to 1980 it's
very possible to have all sorts of different stuff on one car.......
Don't worry, it's normal. If you really want the lowdown on when and
where you can order a "heritage certificate from some folks in England,
but you should probally save your dough for parts.

As you found out the English use the same standard measurements we do,
well almost.... we won't get into whitworth and imperial gallons yet.
Just remember "a pint's a pound the world around".

At this point I wouldn't worry too much about what year a certain bit is
unless it's engine or rear suspension parts. As I said earlier these
cars didn't change a whole lot during their production run. Just make
sure the brakes work, no major fuel leaks, and at least a little tread
left on the tyres and drive drive drive. It's really the only way to
find out what needs replacing, and suprisingly it seems as if all the
little pieces want you to have fun with them. They want to be a car,
darnit!

Anyway....... have fun, ask a lot of questions, and keep your service
manual on your nightstand. You're in for a great ride!!!

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Racin' Herald