TR4 carbs

To: jacad@CAM.ORG
Subject: TR4 carbs
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 97 16:21:01 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steinbeck Michael wrote:
        >My TR4 has SU H6 carbs....
        [snip]
        >When I approach a traffic light or a stop sign I usually let the engine
        >slow down the car by simply getting off the accelerator and eventually
        >I push the clutch. The idle then goes down to about 400 rpm the
        >car starts shaking and the red light comes on (half of the time the
        >engine then dies on me) and after a few seconds (1 or 2) the idle
        >comes up to about 800 rpm and runs stable for any length of time.
        >This can't be normal.

I dont know very much about TR4s and SUs, but I once had an identical
problem; it turned out to be vacuum - when I applied the brakes the
assist took vacuum away from the carb.  It was not until I depressed the
clutch that I noticed the rough low idle, but after a couple of
seconds with my foot off the brake, I got vacuum and the car idled
normally.

Please ignore this note if TR4s dont have vacuum assist or vacuum lines
running to the carbs.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego