TR6 broken brackets

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 broken brackets
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:26:42 -0400
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:32:08 -0400
From: "David J. McElroy" <mcelroy@ntplx.net>
Subject: TR250/6 Suspension brackets

While having a grand old time rebuilding the front suspension of my
TR-250 for the first time, I noticed that the infamous left/rear
suspension bracket is cracked in several places.  I put a very big screw
driver into one of the bracket's four holes and applied some force to
the bracket, just to see how loose it was.  Oh oh, it is actually quite
bad off, moving around a few millimeters.

Now I have to think about how I can repair this bracket problem, but
I've never dealt with frame problems before. I've been thinking of four
possibilities...

1. Get the welding guy with the truck to come and fix it "in situ."
2. Stick the car on a truck and bring it to a frame/welding place
3. Get a new frame (significant PO frame repairs; most good, some fair)

David,

I had the very same dilemma several years ago, and the fastest, easiest
approach is to call a mobile welder out.  It will probably cost you $40
or $50, but almost none of your time (which can be directed toward other
work).

Just get the car up safely on stands and have a creeper for the welder
to use (you might want to let him know it is "under the car" when you
call).  You'll also need to have a small mirror for him to use to see
the backside of the bracket.  He'll probably have some sheet steel he
can use for reinforcement.

What I have done now, though, is to buy a decent 220v welder for my
shop.  With old cars and motorcycles, you find yourself firing it up
regularly, and it sure makes situations like the current one
"non-issues."

good luck,

doug shook
TR6 and B50SS