Re: Plug wires and elec ignition

To: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Plug wires and elec ignition
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:48:29 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
... so if there is an issue with solid copper wires, such as
> the bumblebees I wouldn't have yet experienced it. I wonder if the
> radio interference radiating from the unshielded copper wires has
> some affect on the workings of electronic ignitions like my Ignitor
> system....

I dont know how "educated" this is --- but I can report absolutely no
ill effects from running bumblebee wires with the Ignitor electronic
ignition (ymmv)....except my original (?) BL AM/FM radio can't get the
ball game on AM anymore...

I would imagine that ignitions with microprocessors might be
affected....some of the fancier MSD's and electronic fuel
inj. may puke...I don't think a simple solid state switch (like
the ignitor) would be so vulnerable to the RFI (Radio
Frequency Interference)...especially since its designed to be in the
distributor housing along with the arcing of the rotor/cap...another
source of RFI.  The documentation that came with my Ignitor made no
mention of any problems associated solid core wires....Almost all auto
/ moto ignitions work on the inductive principle and there is a lot of
RFI produced as a byproduct... and if there was a problem, proper
shielding should cure it.

I've been around hot rodder types all my life and I've never heard of
this problem, I always thought go with the solid copper core...of
course most of these vehicles have a distinct lack of
microprocessors...

Has anyone actually had this problem? Was it conclusively traced to
solid core wires?
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press