Re: Installing Polyurethane Bushings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installing Polyurethane Bushings
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:15:59 +0100
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Eric Miller wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I ordered and received a polyurethane suspension bushing kit from British
> Parts NW (who are very pleasant to work with over the phone) last week for
> the TR-4A, and am ready to start installing the front suspension on the
> bare frame.  I had heard that one of the negative things of polyurethane is
> that it squeaks.  The guy at British Parts NW suggested putting
> "anti-seize" on them before installation.  Has anyone tried this?  If so,
> what brand?  Or maybe there is another product that would work better?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>

> Eric Miller
> Portland, OR
> 1965 TR-4A

There was some discussion in 'The Courier' (TSSC monthly mag) a while ago about
this topic.  The concensus then was that silicon (DOT5??) (NOT your normal type)
brake fluid is the stuff to use (for easy fitting and long term anti-sqeak) as
this is the most similar type of compound to the actual bushes themselves.  This
stuff is v. expensive and normally used in racing applications due to its
superior performance at high temperatures.  Apparently if mineral oil based
compounds (including Vaseline etc) are used then this *may* cause longer term
degradation to the bushes.
It was also noted that you should never use washing-up detergent to ease the
fitting of bushes as the salt in it can quite quickly corrode any metal parts in
contact.
I'll end by saying that I have no personal experience of using Si fluid...just
adding in my 2p worth.

Pat