Spit Bearing(s?)/Thanks

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit Bearing(s?)/Thanks
From: Jim Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:09:46 -0700 (PDT)
Well its time to attack another area of "Jade" in my ongoing apprenticeship.
Before I do so I am searching out the wisdom of the list. Approximately 2
months ago I replace balljoints and tire-rod ends and noticed a significant
improvement in the "looseness" of steering. However, I noticed after doing
that it seemed that there were still some looseness and could see that it
was the front tire hub that seemed to have the play. I had an alignment done
after I did the balljoints and tire rod ends and was told that the bearings
were loose and that the guy tightened them for me. Now when I drive once I
get to 90 km/hr (55 miles/hr I think?). I start to get serious steering
wheel vibration, and what I'll describe as unsmoothness from the front end.
At lower speeds no significant problem, but I hear a faint sound from
drivers front wheel. My questions are:

        i) This sounds like a bearing problem right?
        ii) My reading through the Haynes manual seems to tell me this is a
straightforward job, right? any suggestions, tips, shortcuts?
        iii) When replacing and purchasing parts I see there is an outer and
        inner bearing, these should both be replaced - right? Are they sold as
        a kit?

I had also like to send a belated thank you to all the people (especially
Charlie Brown) who helped out with my rad problem (about six weeks ago). I
had a shop repair the rad ($65). Everything is improved. I also found out
that since I have owned "jade" (2.5 years) I haven't had a thermostat. I
read with interest the comments/science on the recent thermostat thread. My
experience for what it is worth. I know I now run a little hotter in normal
conditions (I put in a 180 degree thermostat, thinking of going to 160
degress), but with the thermostat I get to 3/4 and stay there, wheras,
before the thermostat in stop and go traffic or hot days "jade" would shoot
right past 3/4 and be running dangerously hot. I also learned I should get
some radiator valences/shrouds - can you make your own?

Thanks in advance

Jim Cullen
1974 Spitfire