Re: TR-6 radio/speaker Instalation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-6 radio/speaker Instalation
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:33:44 -0700 (PDT)
  I had a similar problem a few years ago with my VW Bug - modern radios
would not fit.  I went to Radio Shack, and they had an older model that
went right in.  However, this was the budget model in the line, with
manual tuning and no bells and whistles, so if what you are looking for is
a real upgrade, you'll need to go another route.

  One possibility is the mail order company Crutchfield, which supplies a
wide variety of car stereos (much bigger selection than any local store).
They have a large chart in the catalog that gives the size of the dash
hole needed for each radio, so you can easily see if there is one that
will fit.  They are on the web at www.crutchfield.com, and they have a
little locater program - you can search for your car model, and they will
tell you if they have a radio to fit.  I looked for TR-6, didn't see it
(though they did have MGs listed), but you could contact them directly.
You can also call them at 1-800-995-3000.  Hope this helps.

  One alternative that is common in the VW community is to put the radio
inside the glovebox.  Harder to get at, but it involves no visible
modifications, and hides the radio from casual thieves.

  As for speakers, you might consider surface mounts in the footwells
behind the seats - that's what I'm planning for the TR-4, since I have yet
to carry anyone in the back seat who could fit their feet in there.

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology