Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, CHRISTOPHER J REILLY <Spitfire15@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Crankcase Breather mystery solved...
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 03:39:45 -0400
CHRISTOPHER J REILLY wrote:

> -- [ From: old chris * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> Just a quick note to anyone who saw my question on crankcase breather on
> a Spitfire.  Took the valve cover off again and after chiselling the
> welds on the baffle plate on one side I was able to
> get at the filter material.  This material was NASTY ! Seems to be
> coarse steel wool and all gummed up, hence not allowing any breathing.
> I plan to replace with fresh stuff and hopefully get the cover back on
> before race day...
>
> for inquiring minds...
>
> Chris
> '78 Spitfire ( breathing treatments completed )
Chris,
        just for curiosity's sake I thought I'd share this with you. I've had
the exact same symtoms as you seem to have for some time. A short time
ago I blew a hose and badly overheated my poor spit. I thought the head
was gone for sure. Now get this. No damage was done to the head.
Compression is still strong, oil pressure is up by about 5 psi and my
valve cover is back to negative pressure. No more oil out the dipstick
or the dist, little or no oil out the breather tube. Yes I checked the
oiling of the rack and it seems plentyful.
        Go figure?
        Bill
78Spit
80Wedge