Re: Starter Woes

To: "\"Mr. Michael D. Fatsi\"" <mdfatsi@erols.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter Woes
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Jul 97 14:01:46 EDT
I've been through the identical drill as you. And for some reason, weak battery
makes the starter problem more apparent. .Also,  read VTR page Maintenance
Handbook "Starter has a mind of its own".My limited experience suggests  you
have a stuck solenoid or related part within the starter rather than a bad key
switch. You could pull the starter out yourself and have it checked out by a
qualified mechanic. ( two bolts, one from above one from below, then slide
forward under the carbs and its out).  If you need to buy a rebuilt, do it
locally-I've found the prices much lower than big 3 .With big 3, the core return
credit is high and the mailing cost  to return the core to any of the big 3
almost negates the credit.

BTW, When reinstalling it, a trick is to pry a big screwdriver underneath it
between fender well and exhust manifold to keep it stable while you replace the
upper bolt. You will also need to put some sticky stuff in a closed end box
wrenchand a piece of duct tape or something behind it to hold the upper bolt  in
the wrench while you tighten down the nut-no human fingers can do this.

Too bad the Vette got the last good start left. At least it was a crowd pleaser,
if I recall your original post.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6