Re: TR3 Radiator Capacity

To: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Radiator Capacity
From: "Brian S. Thomas" <thomasb@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:54:40 -0400
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
At 02:53 PM 7/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>From my manuals, the TR3 cooling system is about 4 gals in capacity. My
>questions are:
>
>1. What is the capacity of the radiator?

Doug:

Capacity of the cooling system (from empty) is 8.2 quarts (if a heater is
fitted) or a little more than 2 gallons.  It sounds like you've got about as
much fluid in the system as will fit!

I experienced all kinds of overheating when the engine in my TR3 was
professionally rebuilt years ago.  I tried everything to fix it -
thermostats (even found a skirted one), rad rebuilds, the Arizona fix -
nothing made any difference.  Finally the rad was re-cored with more rows
than original - suddenly no more over-heating.  As an aside, two different
rads had been "re-done" by another shop during the problem period - they
essentially boiled them out saying "you can't re-core a rad that has a
crank hole".  A mechanic friend
much later explained this was just not so - the guys were just lazy!

Of course, your results may vary!

Later, ...

Brian

Brian S. Thomas                 e-mail: ThomasB@Post.QueensU.Ca
Co-ordinator, Info. Systems     v-mail: 613-545-2228
Computing Centre                   fax: 613-545-2168
Queen's University                home: 613-542-8110
Kingston, Ontario CANADA K7L 3N6  toys: '54 TR2,'56 TR3,'67 TR4A,'80 TR8